In this section we are going to describe and discuss the complications of diabetes. We will then discuss and describe how diabetes can be managed to help prevent complications and avoid or prevent further deterioration.
Lifestyle management is a key component in managing diabetes and should be considered as part of a care assessment and as part of a diabetes annual review.
A diabetes care assessment should be based on the care processes recommended by NICE and should include the following as part of an overall assessment:
- psychological and cognitive issues
- diet and nutrition review
- medications used in managing diabetes
- glucose/ketone monitoring
- activity levels
- alcohol intake
- 1Diabetes UK (2021) accessible from: Other types of diabetes Diabetes UK https://www.diabetes.org.uk/professionals/resources/shared-practice/diabetes-care-in-care-homes